25 Market St   Aberdeen, SD 57401

Office Hours 8:00-5:00 M-F

Main menu

You are here

Military Discharge

Military Discharges or DD-214 are filed in the Register of Deeds Office. Once the document is placed on record, the veteran can obtain a certified copy from the office where it was recorded, free of charge.

In 2003 a law was passed allowing only certain individuals to be able to request a copy of the DD-214. The person requesting the certified copy of the military discharge record must first provide identification and complete the proper form, which is available at our office or downloaded from our website Click Here:

The individuals that are allowed to request the copy are as follows:

  • The Veteran
  • A County/Tribal Veteran Service Officer
  • The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
  • The Veteran's Parent
  • The Veteran's Next of Kin
  • The Veteran's Legal Representative