You are here

History of the Brown County Fairgrounds


The first Fair, known as the Tri-State Fair, opened it's gates on September 5th, 1921. The fairgrounds which sits on 160 acres just north of Aberdeen, S.D. had a lot to offer when it opened. The Grandstand featured seating for 5,000 fans and overlooked one of the finest 1/2 mile dirt racing tracks in the area. Here both horse racing and car racing enthusiasts could cheer on their favorite jockey or driver.

There were two speed barns, livestock barns and even a L-shaped airport for planes to land and leave the fairgrounds in two directions.

In 1933 financial problems haunted the Tri-State Fair Association and foreclosure proceeding took place. Brown County  took control of the land and in 1935 the first Brown County Fair was held.

Since 1935 then the Brown County Fairgrounds has continued to be a center of social gathering. During the 1950's, dances and roller skating parties were held in the Dance Pavillion Building. In 1980 the Holum Expo Building was constructed. This 120' x 240' building has hosted many indoor events. It was also the first building in the state of South Dakota to have an indoor ice rink installed for playing hockey and open skating.